[arch-general] Is there any project or interest for an new installer?

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Sun Aug 5 16:37:55 EDT 2012

Guys,

  As I sit cobbling together script snippets to help automate the new media
install for my use, I am curious if there is any current effort/project to
develop a new AIF type installer? Or, is there any plan to take the current old
AIF and update it going forward. If not, is there any suggestion/desire to set
up a development page/wiki to capture thoughts/ideas/notes concerning what Arch
users are currently doing to help automate the install. That way at least there
is a central place for the information to be coordinated that would foster a bit
of development in that direction regardless of whether it ever becomes an
official project. For example, to make grub2 config a little easier I cobbled
together a couple of lines from the Install_Guide, Beginners_Guide and Grub2
wiki to come up with a short snippet for my use:

# Install a bootloader (grub2) - PART2
instdev="$1"
modprobe dm-mod
grub-install --target=i386-pc --recheck --debug "$instdev"
mkdir -p /boot/grub/locale
cp /usr/share/locale/en\@quot/LC_MESSAGES/grub.mo /boot/grub/locale/en.mo
sed -i 's/GRUB_GFXMODE=.*$/GRUB_GFXMODE=1024X768X32/' /etc/default/grub
grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

  Nothing special about any of this, but if there was an interest in capturing
this type of information and other information related to the install for later
use (or just to prevent reinventing the wheel), then some central page makes
sense. Also, if there was any interest in a future AIF continuation, I'd be
happy to help where I could.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.