[arch-general] New install media 2012.08.04 uses ZSH, if I may ask, why?

Martin Cigorraga msx at archlinux.us
Mon Aug 6 00:13:06 EDT 2012

On 6 August 2012 00:21, David Benfell <benfell at parts-unknown.org> wrote:

> That'd get my vote, but I'd be amazed if any distribution ever did
> this. Doesn't zsh take more--a lot more--memory?

David,
I don't think in modern systems this could be of any real issue, choosing,
for instance, sh over zsh because memory consumption is like deactivating
unused ttys in /etc/inittab to save memory: nonsense. But in the case you
happen to install Arch in a very resource-constrained machine you can
always install Bash and then switch to it.
I myself am a bash guy; while other fancy shells can add extra features I
find bash sports everything I need for my daily console work.

I really don't care about zsh shipped as default shell as long as zsh is
full bash-compliance - but AFAIK zsh have some minor incompatibilities with
bash that may prevent it from being the shell standard because the vast
majority of scripts are crafted using Bash, a widespread de-facto standard
for so long time.

--
-msx