[arch-general] ip addr show doesn't show my ipv4 address after update, is this expected behaviour?

Myra Nelson myra.nelson at hughes.net
Mon Aug 6 05:08:15 EDT 2012

On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 2:44 AM, Oon-Ee Ng <ngoonee.talk at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, iproute2 just got updated to 3.5.0-1 (previously was 3.4.0-2),
> because I use [testing].
>
> ip addr show seems to work differently now, showing me my ipv6
> assigned address by default rather than my ipv4 address (which was
> what I previously got when running ip addr show.
>
> The man page for ip-address says the command 'displays addresses and
> their properties', which means it should at least show the ipv4
> address as well?
>
> I'm wondering whether this is simply an upstream change/bug, since the
> man page is a bit unclear and a change in behaviour is normally
> mentioned in man pages (isn't it?).
>
> Of course, easy to workaround using ip -4 addr show....

Interesting post. I've been seeing the same thing and having some
minor glitches with network problems. The reason I found it strange is
I boot with [ ipv6.disable_ipv6=1 ] and my hosts file show [ 127.0.0.1
localhost.localdomain localhost gandalf ] with no ipv6 designation in
it. I was working under the assumption it had to do with my switch to,
mostly, systemd while still using the old network daemon.

>From the wiki on disabling ipv6

Disable functionality

Adding ipv6.disable=1 to the kernel line in your bootloader
configuration disables the whole ipv6 stack, which is likely what you
want if you are experiencing issues.
Alternatively, adding ipv6.disable_ipv6=1 instead will keep the ipv6
stack functional, but not assign ipv6 addresses to any of your network
devices.

dmesg

[   30.959975] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth0: link is not ready
[   30.962396] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): eth0: link becomes ready

journalctl

Aug 06 00:19:12 gandalf kernel: e1000: eth0 NIC Link is Up 1000 Mbps
Full Duplex, Flow Control: RX/TX
Aug 06 00:19:12 gandalf kernel: IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth0: link
is not ready
Aug 06 00:19:12 gandalf kernel: IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): eth0:
link becomes read

No sign of and IPv4 address being polled. I'm wondering about a bug
but possibly in the systemd startup. I realize my network setup
doesn't follow the current trends. I don't use dhcp, netcfg, network
manager, etc. It's wired only and a static address setup that's served
me well for years. Two computers that had no problem transferring
files, sharing a printer, email, web browsing, simple startup and
shutdown. Now it seems one must learn how to create your own routing
tables with iproute2. Yeah that's just a little tacky but two layers
of nat later my security concerns don't jive with  the rest of the
world.

PS. I'm not asking for any HAND HOLDING, yeah I screamed, but when the
rules change, the rule book should list the changes. I'm aware of some
earlier discussions about multiple interfaces needing to use iproute2
but didn't realize it affected a single interface. I had decided to
just live with it, but since someone else ask.

Myra