[arch-general] New install media 2012.08.04 uses ZSH, if I may ask, why?

Kevin Chadwick ma1l1ists at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Aug 6 07:26:50 EDT 2012

> > I really don't care about zsh shipped as default shell as long as
> > zsh is full bash-compliance - but AFAIK zsh have some minor
> > incompatibilities with bash that may prevent it from being the
> > shell standard because the vast majority of scripts are crafted
> > using Bash, a widespread de-facto standard for so long time.
> >
> Indeed--those incompatibilities are precisely what I like about zsh. ;-)

I guess you've never had to migrate scripts to bourne shell with only
a change in script lines and not function.

As for speed there is a big difference between ttys and shell size
which is why debian has dash. Whilst I say a big difference in that
relation I agree it saves little in most desktop cases and can cause
issues having dash.

Greater bug awareness in bash or bourne/korn shell is another point.

universal interface'

(Doug McIlroy)