[arch-general] Pacman/pactree

Arno Gaboury arnaud.gaboury at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 13:28:22 EDT 2012

Dear list,

I did some spring home cleaning today among my installed packages.
I wanted to remove one package, but be sure first to know which packages
were depending on the one I wanted to remove.
I then went to the pacman wiki, and read the following command would do
the job : $whoneeds packagename.
A quick tour on #archlinux IRC gave me this anser for same result:
$pactree -r packagename.

Is there any reason to use "whoneeds" command more than "pactree -r" ? As
pactree is already installed, I do not see the need to install a new
package for same result.

Not a big deal, but just curiousity.