[arch-general] pacman from behind a proxy (not under my control)

Oon-Ee Ng ngoonee.talk at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 23:58:51 EDT 2012

So I just tried a new install, it works and even got updated the first
time. Left it over the weekend, now that I'm back on it (still quite
bare, nothing much set up yet) I can't seem to get pacman connected to
the mirrors.

This machine is a university machine and needs to connect via
proxy.name_of_uni.edu.my:8080, so I've set http_proxy and ftp_proxy to
the right values. Also substituted in the actual IP addresses with the
same results.

What happens is that all the mirrors get the following (with wget
uncommented in pacman.conf, similar results even when not using wget)
Connecting to mirrors.kernel.org|149.20.4.71|:80... failed: Connection
timed out.

Ironically, when I try to wget the db file itself through wget
http://mirrrors.kernel.org/archlinux/testing/os/i686/testing.db it
downloads fine.... Any idea what the problem could be?