[arch-general] pacman from behind a proxy (not under my control)

Oon-Ee Ng ngoonee.talk at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 05:08:39 EDT 2012

On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 4:57 PM, Nick Lanham <nick at afternight.org> wrote:
> Are you SURE the http_proxy is set when running the pacman command?
>
> Try doing something like (also add in the https proxy in case):
>
> user at host$ http_proxy='http://proxy.name_of_uni.edu.my:8080' ftp_proxy='...' https_proxy='...' pacman ....
>
> I have a one line script that just has (i don't use ftp):
>
> #!/bin/bash
> http_proxy='http://proxy:8080' https_proxy='https://proxy:8080' $*
>
> save as pprox and then run:
>
> user at host$ pprox pacman ....
>
> and it works great.
>
> good luck!

Yes I'm sure, since I can exported it, and I can see it when running
env, and wget works. Nothing in your script would change the env
pacman is seeing on my machine. Thanks, however, it occured to me that
the environment might have been changed by sudo, so once I change user
it works.

Conclusion - PEBKAC, as you expected (though the exact problem was
misdiagnosed). Sorry all for the noise. Forgot that I had set sudo on
my previous laptop install to keep the environment variables, now to
set that up for this desktop as well.