[arch-general] Installation_Guide - fix concerning bootloader config reference

Mauro Santos registo.mailling at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 06:46:32 EDT 2012

On 06-08-2012 23:20, David C. Rankin wrote:

> I noticed that too. Also, if you just follow the beginners guide without using
> the grub2 page, you end up installing grub2 wrong because the beginners guide
> omits the --target flag for grub-install. There should be links to:
>
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Grub2#Install_to_440-byte_MBR_boot_code_region
>
> for the most common install. Instead the beginners_guide just says to:
>
>   grub-install /dev/sda
>
> which according to the grub2 wiki will result in the grub2 error on:
>
> "source_dir doesn't exist"

After reading the wiki and the man page I did use only 'grub-install
/dev/sda' and it worked without any problems for the 3 systems that I
have converted to use grub2.

As I see it --target should not be needed if grub is going to run from
the same machine/architecture it was installed with. The man page says:

--target=TARGET
install GRUB for TARGET platform [default=current]

If grub can't decide correctly on what is the current platform, it
sounds like a bug with grub and it should be reported upstream so it can
be fixed.

--
Mauro Santos