[arch-general] Something wrong with firefox/thunderbird driving X cpu usage -> 100%

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Wed Aug 8 08:34:14 EDT 2012

Guys,

   I have watched this in top for the past week or so. Thunderbird and Firefox
are causing X cpu usage to shoot upt to between 80-100% on simple tasks like
scrolling a message list in tbird or simply opening css menus in firefox. All
of this used to be instantaneous and never cause the cpu to bat an eye. But
now, it is very pronounced and brings the desktop to a crawl. This box is not
a screamer, but plenty fast, P4 2800/4G/Nvidia 8600GT.

   How do I determine what is causing this? X? ff/tb? something else?  Any
ideas appreciated. Thanks.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.