[arch-general] note about beginners guide

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Fri Aug 10 08:52:09 EDT 2012

On Wed, 2012-08-08 at 19:58 -0400, brainworker at lavabit.com wrote:
> In installation chapter we can see:
>
> > Available time zones and subzones can be found in the
> > |/usr/share/zoneinfo/<Zone>/<SubZone>| directories.
> >
> > it's helpful to see the available time zones. To do so, cd to the
> > directory:
> >
> > # cd /usr/share/zoneinfo/
> >
> > then type:
> >
> > # ls
>
> Why not type just this ?
>  ls /usr/share/zoneinfo/
> One string is better than five, and more more obvious, I think.
>
> Then...
> > To list down the contents of that directory. You can do the same to get
> > subzones:
> >
> > # cd /usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe
> > # ls
>
> And why not type just ?
>  ls /usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe

Because cd + ls gives an overview about the structure?
[spinymouse at archlinux ~]$ cd /usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe
[spinymouse at archlinux Europe]$ ls
Amsterdam   Brussels    Guernsey     Lisbon      Minsk      Prague
Skopje     Vaduz      Zaporozhye
Andorra     Bucharest   Helsinki     Ljubljana   Monaco     Riga
Sofia      Vatican    Zurich
Athens      Budapest    Isle_of_Man  London      Moscow     Rome
Stockholm  Vienna
Belfast     Chisinau    Istanbul     Luxembourg  Nicosia    Samara
Tallinn    Vilnius
Belgrade    Copenhagen  Jersey       Madrid      Oslo       San_Marino
Tirane     Volgograd
Berlin      Dublin      Kaliningrad  Malta       Paris      Sarajevo
Tiraspol   Warsaw
Bratislava  Gibraltar   Kiev         Mariehamn   Podgorica  Simferopol
Uzhgorod   Zagreb