[arch-general] KDE and plasma-desktop CPU usage

Shridhar Daithankar ghodechhap at ghodechhap.net
Sat Aug 11 10:10:55 EDT 2012

Hello,

I recently formatted an acer netbook with intel atom processor, 32 bit,
1.66GHz/1GB RAM, with arch. I installed kde on it, everything went as
expected.

However when I log in with a normal user, the KDE start-up completes but the
splash screen is stuck. plasma-desktop process is eating 100% CPU. Killing and
restarting the process does not help.

I think the machine is dual core, /proc/cpuinfo shows two cores but might be
hyper-threaded, am not sure.

I can hit Alt-F2, get a krunner prompt and run applications like konsole but
the desktop remain unavailable.

I had just started dbus from rc.conf and created a user as follows

# useradd -m -g users -G audio,video shridhar

And log-in from kdm.

Google is not much of help. Any suggestions before I report the bug upstream?
--
Regards
 Shridhar