[arch-general] What can be deleted, when not using systemd - was: polkit package upgrade patch

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Sat Aug 11 12:22:14 EDT 2012

On Sat, Aug 11, 2012 at 3:59 PM, Baho Utot <baho-utot at columbus.rr.com> wrote:
> One thing that the folks/upstream that are merging all these things together
> is missing is that the future of "user" computer is moving to phones and
> ipad type devices.  PC will still be around but the consumer has spoken and
> it looks like he/she is moving to these devices.  I don't condemn them for
> doing so as they want something that works.  Turn it on and get what they
> want done, PCs don't do this.
> How are/would these giant concoctions going to play here as they don't have
> the storage, memory, or cpu to handle this.  The direction should be going
> in the tool kit style as in here's the kernel and you can bolt on all of
> these independent things. Something like android?

I would be surprised if a systemd-based system requires more resources
than a sysvinit-based one, but that is of course something one would
have to measure for each particular use-case.

There are lots of systemd-based embedded systems cropping up (the
embedded world seems more excited about sysntemd than the desktop
world). The aim of systemd is to work on anything from embedded, via
desktop to servers.

-t