[arch-general] OT: [arch-dev-public] polkit package upgrade patch

Leonid Isaev lisaev at umail.iu.edu
Sat Aug 11 12:27:22 EDT 2012

On Sat, 11 Aug 2012 14:16:46 +0200
Heiko Baums <lists at baums-on-web.de> wrote:

> Am Sat, 11 Aug 2012 09:56:49 +0200
> schrieb Jelle van der Waa <jelle at vdwaa.nl>:
>
> > Sure soon RHEL will switch to systemd with RHEL 7, so the systemd
> > market share will probably continue to grow. Also SUSE seems to
> > switch to systemd. With these major distro's taking up systemd, it's
> > almost impossible that it's not implemented good enough.
>
> Then, why are there regularly so many, so long discussions on the web?
> And most of them are not started by me, and I don't even participate
> in a lot of them. And why are all those critical comments about PA,
> systemd, and Lennart Poettering marked green by so many people?
>
> Why is Lennart Poettering's software the only software about which
> there are so many discussions? Really because it's so damn good?

I think you are forgetting that linux-based OS market usage is <1.0%. So by
the same logic, why do so many people prefer NOT to use these OSs, because
they are so good? Are those people all idiots? Sometimes numbers don't mean
much...

> I don't know what's going on behind the scenes of all those major
> distros. So I don't know how big Lennart's or someone else's influence
> is. But I think it's a mistake to switch to systemd. Well, offering it
> optionally, would be no problem.

Right, all evil in this world comes from Glass, Apples and... LP. BTW, last
time I checked, opensuse had pretty vast public dev ML.

--
Leonid Isaev
GnuPG key: 0x164B5A6D