[arch-general] OT: [arch-dev-public] polkit package upgrade patch

Kwpolska kwpolska at gmail.com
Sat Aug 11 14:28:05 EDT 2012

*grabs popcorn*

On Sat, Aug 11, 2012 at 2:03 PM, Heiko Baums <lists at baums-on-web.de> wrote:
> But they take space on my harddisk. And even TB harddisks can get full
> some day. And not everybody is able to afford a new one at once.

[kwpolska at kwpolska-lin ~]% du -sh /usr/lib/systemd
3.6M    /usr/lib/systemd

Seriously?  Are 3.6M so much?  So you don’t have any packages for
shells other than the one you’re using?  So you don’t have more than
one terminal emulator?  Of course you do!  Then why do you care about
systemd files?

You can always run a rm -rf /usr/lib/systemd, you know.

> And I just don't want this systemd stuff on my harddisk.

And I just don’t want this GNOME 3 stuff on my harddisk.  But I don’t
go whining on the MLs, I rather go pacman -R gnome.  Or whatever you
have.  (although GNOME 3 sucks and EVERYONE will agree with that.)

> But, hey, it's really hard to respect other people's opinions and
> wishes. I understand. If other people don't want to have anything to do
> with a certain software then this software has to be forced onto them
> because the maintainer is a fanboy of this software and can't respect
> other people's opinions due to his rose-colored glasses.

Told ya: pacman -R systemd; rm -rf /usr/lib/systemd.  Your wishes are granted.

> You do force every Arch Linux user to install that systemd stuff. Why
> else do I have systemd-tools installed on my harddisk? Why else do I
> have all this systemd stuff in /usr/lib/systemd/system? Why else do I
> have even this directory /usr/lib/systemd on my harddisk? I tell you,
> because you force it on me. I never have installed this on my own.

rm -rf /usr/lib/systemd

Also, believe it or not, systemd-tools was not forced on you.
systemd-tools = udev + some fancy systemd manpages and files.  THAT’S
IT!  It could be also named udev-plus-fancy-stuff.  Or i-like-turtles.
 Or rainbow-dash-is-best-pony.  Although the last one could spawn such
OT as this thread by people who aren’t (or even hate) bronies.

> Initscripts worked before and would still do this. If you are a systemd
> fanboy then provide and support systemd optional, but leave initscripts
> alone and revert it to what it was, before you made all those systemd
> changes.

…and initscripts still work and will work for a while…

> But, yes, I forgot again, other people's opinions and wishes are dull
> and all those people don't know anything and have no clue what they are
> talking about. All those people on the whole wide web. And you are the
> wisdom in person.

I told you how to grant your wish at least twice before, so I won’t
repeat that.  Your opinion?  NOBODY CARES!  You can still use
initscripts!  Nobody cares that you don’t like systemd, pulseaudio or
Poettering!

And if we’re talking about pulseaudio: sure, pulseaudio is a bit more
“forced” on you by certain packages.  But you can still live without
it, I think.  If you are doing “pro audio work” and you can afford a
$bazillion audio card, then why can’t you afford a $200* OS?  Windows
will be much better!  And if you really want to work like a pro, get a
Mac.  And if you want to stay on this fancy Linux thing used by
~nobody, and exactly 0 (read: zero) people in the pro area, especially
in the pro gamer area (there are -1000 pro gamers on Linux now), and
there is no way to escape PulseAudio right now, PATCHES WELCOME!
Remember: systemd and pulseaudio are open-source projects.  If you
want to see something improved,

Obligatory disclaimer: I am using three Arch systems:
physical/x86_64/systemd/pulse/KDE, VM/x86_64/systemd/pulse/Xfce and
VM/i686/initscripts/no-audio-at-all/Xfce.  The first VM is used mainly
for development under Windows (I’ve yet to see people developing
linux-specific tools or even AUR helpers [pkgbuilder] under Windows),
while the second one is used for a blog post that was written but
isn’t since over a week.  Anyways, I was criticizing both pulseaudio
and systemd in their earlier stages.  But now, my system (mostly)
works properly.  The only problematic piece of software is VLC, which
has some white noise when it starts playing audio.  Everyone else is
fine.

* = €200 from Microsoft, although it should be around €160.  I love
this fucking currency, especially when it’s forced on me (Steam,
anyone?).  Please, oh, please, kill it already.  It is bloody useless.
--
Kwpolska <http://kwpolska.tk>
stop html mail      | always bottom-post