[arch-general] OT: [arch-dev-public] polkit package upgrade patch

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sun Aug 12 10:17:37 EDT 2012

On Sun, 2012-08-12 at 16:00 +0200, Tom Gundersen wrote:
> Ok. This is what I was wondering about. I will try to listen for
> glitches then (I have not noticed any during my years of using PA, but
> I'll pay more attention). If it is true that a noticeable glitch is
> produced, then obviously you have a point, however if the glitch is
> not noticeable then I don't see the problem you have with PA.
>
> Clearly, PA is not meant for professional audio work. And it might be
> that for a professional all the PA logic is both unnecessary and maybe
> even detrimental (so you'd use jack or pure ALSA instead, that should
> not be a problem). However, that does not mean that PA is not a huge
> gain for the casual desktop user (assuming there are no bugs!).
>
> Thanks for the information.

I was a pro analog audio engineer, working for an important company. I
tried some stupid guesses, regarding to nowadays digital. IMO it's
imaginable, even if some of my thoughts should be absolutely wrong, that
for consumer usage, there "quasi" aren't audible steps.

Anyway, PA isn't needed, so it should be an optional dependency. And it
might work or not, the way it's done is insane.

Analog audio engineers only have got two hands + flying faders :D,
anyway, Fon's claim that it's sick, not sane or what ever he said is
correct.

There is a logical way to do such stuff with two hands only, without
flying faders. Why should software not use this better style too?

2 cents,
Ralf