[arch-general] OT: [arch-dev-public] polkit package upgrade patch

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sun Aug 12 17:37:00 EDT 2012

On Sun, 2012-08-12 at 22:17 +0100, Mauro Santos wrote:
> On 12-08-2012 20:57, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>
> > Is it really possible to know exactly, every time, at what level the sum
> > of the audio streams are? IIRC float point does avoid some issues.
> > However, do you think it's smart to adjust at least two following
> > instances within the same audio chain at the same time?
>
> If talking about adding two signals, whatever they are, if you know how
> the sum is made, you can know what the worst case sum will be and if
> that will cause any problems.

Ok, I believe this without verifying it. So I still don't know, but I
buy it as truth for this moment.

> By knowing the inputs and the process, the sum in this case, I don't see
> why it would be a problem to change several things at the same time, you
> just need to be careful not to get problems.

Hardware steps vs software steps? I Don't believe that it's possible to
automate it.

Assumed the ALSA driver does come with everything PA needs, I still
don't believe that it's smart to do it that way.

"Careful" vs straight, but "careful" implies a delay.

Analog forgives little mistakes, digital doesn't.

Not everybody wishes to be the sun of a gun.

I prefer to be careful, when "using/consuming" audio.

Regards,
Ralf