[arch-general] What can be deleted, when not using systemd - was: polkit package upgrade patch

Fons Adriaensen fons at linuxaudio.org
Sun Aug 12 18:06:48 EDT 2012

On Sun, Aug 12, 2012 at 11:43:08PM +0200, Joakim Hernberg wrote:

> I was however sad to see old dependable friends like ifconfig and route
> being deprecated last year.

I had the same initial response to that. But spending an evening
reading the ip manpage and doing a lot of 'exercises' using it
changed that, now I can type ip commands as fluently as I could
do before using ifconfig and route. The most important 'mental
adjustmemt' I needed to make was getting used to the idea that
a single interface can have many IP adresses. It's probably
irrelevant to most users, but still just a fact.

> Sad to see rc.conf more or less being deprecated too.

Yes, it was very convenient to have almost all essential
configuration available in a single file. And it's sad
that this is being abandoned not because that brings any
benefit to the user but because 'upstream has decided'.

> Oh well, let's hope the future is so bright that we gotta wear shades :)

Che serà serà...

Ciao,

--
FA