[arch-general] What can be deleted, when not using systemd - was: polkit package upgrade patch

Myra Nelson myra.nelson at hughes.net
Sun Aug 12 18:51:12 EDT 2012

On Sun, Aug 12, 2012 at 5:12 PM, Tom Gundersen <teg at jklm.no> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 12:06 AM, Fons Adriaensen <fons at linuxaudio.org>
> wrote:
> >> Sad to see rc.conf more or less being deprecated too.
> >
> > Yes, it was very convenient to have almost all essential
> > configuration available in a single file. And it's sad
> > that this is being abandoned not because that brings any
> > benefit to the user but because 'upstream has decided'.
>
> I do not agree with this. The change does give more features, makes
> things more reliable in the long run and reduces the maintenance
> burden. If we did not agree with "upstream", we would not have to do
> this.
>
> -t

Tom:

I agree with ya'll that it will be better in the long run for Arch in
general. However I've had to back away from using systemd. There are simply
too many changes going on for me to keep up with and currently I find it
much easier to deal with the old style init scripts ( please don't take
this a complaint as life and age have slowed some of the processes ).

To All:

That being said, I think it time for all to "quit yer bitchin" and decide
"to fish or cut bait". Right now both ways are supported and that gives
everyone time to decide which way they want to go. Less noise about it all
would give the devs more time to concentrate on making everything work
right instead of either ignoring these debates or tearing their hair out
trying to impart some knowledge and understanding to everyone.

These are the battles that have spawned many a new linux distro and there's
always LFS. It's been said before and I'll reiterate it, If you don't like
it work to fix it.

Myra