[arch-general] What can be deleted, when not using systemd - was: polkit package upgrade patch

Kevin Chadwick ma1l1ists at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Aug 13 07:22:10 EDT 2012

> > I've been wondering lately whether there is a good reason why even udev
> > violates the "one thing and do it well" principle set forth by the
> > co worker of the designer of C and Unix as it not only dynamically
> > creates devices like mdev does but also hotplugging like hotplugd on
> > OpenBSD. Hopefully there is a config option or you would need an
> > alternative if you want static dev files and hotplugging.
>
> This is completely wrong. Udev does not create any device nudes.

Seems this has changed and my source was out of date (2010 or 2011) or
based on an older embedded kernel. More to find out but looks like I can
easily pick and choose and test from mknod devtmpfs or udev/mdev and any
delays are more manageable, brill.

http://lwn.net/Articles/331818/
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/830722

Thanks