[arch-general] OT: [arch-dev-public] polkit package upgrade patch

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Mon Aug 13 15:26:19 EDT 2012

On Mon, 2012-08-13 at 20:33 +0200, "Jérôme M. Berger" wrote:
> I doubt those use 16 bits input. Even low-end hi-fi digital
> recorders support 24 bits, which gives -72dB for the noise and
> starts indeed to be acceptable. But most end-user will simply set
> their system to "CD quality" (or leave it at the default which is
> usually that same 16bits 44kHz, whatever name the app chose to gave
> it).

The Sony gear I posted does record with 16bit only, it's still used by
professionals and even at Ebay those oldish machines coast >4K$.

Btw. from my consumer stuff:

Sony DAT DTC-670

Dynamic > 90dB

AIWA HD-S1

Dynamic > 85dB

I'm missing analog tape saturation, I'm missing the punch of analog
clipping, but the sound quality of 16bit 48KHz isn't missing anything,
even if you record with to less level. For computers digital recordings
can be bad, even with a RME card, as on my machine, this has to do with
the complete chain, resp. chip set of your/my mobo.

The quality of professional stand alone devices doesn't need more than
16bit 48KHz. It's not bad in the professional studio and we don't need
to discuss CD and LP quality.

Lower than 16bit 48KHz is evil at any level.