[arch-general] Lennart Poettering on udev-systemd

Baho Utot baho-utot at columbus.rr.com
Tue Aug 14 09:55:51 EDT 2012

On 08/14/2012 09:32 AM, Thomas Bächler wrote:
> Am 14.08.2012 15:08, schrieb Baho Utot:
>>> Wow, this sounds so much like a conspiracy theory.  The fact is that the
>>> people who write the code inevitably dictate which software is
>>> maintained,
>>> based on their interests and convictions, and they're pretty much
>>> unanimous
>>> that systemd is a better solution to the problem of booting and
>>> maintaining
>>> daemons than the solution we currently have.
>>>
>>> So yeah, I guess that's been the game plan all along: make booting and
>>> daemon
>>> control more consistent, faster, and easier for most users to maintain.
>>>
>>> Paul
>> I don't understand your point....
>>
>> What is so wrong with the booting using sysvinit?
>>
>> I really don't need what systemd offers and sysvinit does everything I
>> need and has not failed me.
> And you don't want systemd because you are sure it won't do what
> sysvinit can, even though you didn't try it.

Dude I have 5 fedora systems from 15 to 17 and they use the full
systemd, Hence my dis-stain for it.

>> So is your point that I need to move to systemd because the developers
>> tell me I must?
> You need to move because the rest of the Linux ecosystem will require
> systemd at some point, just like it now requires udev. If you don't like
> it, then stop annoying us and start maintaining code that makes sure
> YOUR way will keep working.
>
> It's like that: Whoever contributes code makes the decisions.

Why I am creating my own distro from scratch

>> As for systemd being better solution for the problem of booting the
>> beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I just don't see it, so why
>> take away sysvint?
> I could repeat what I said above.
>
>> You can use systemd and I should be able to use what works for me and
>> not be forced down the systemd path.
> So, you are annoying the whole mailing list because you don't like that
> you _might_ be forced to switch to a superior booting scheme which is
> unlikely to affect you negatively in any way.

It has not been established that systemd is superior. You take facts not
in evidence

> Arch's policy on systemd vs. initscripts has not even been discussed
> among Arch developers yet, and nothing has been decided. Yet, you guys
> are acting like someone's going to eat your childrn.
>
> I can't stand this anymore. I want to just add replaces=('initscripts')
> to the systemd package just to make this fucking "discussion" stop. If
> you don't have anything _technical_ to discuss, and don't have any
> problem that you want help solving, then move this bullshit somewhere I
> don't have to see it.
>
> I wonder if there is a way to lock a thread in mailman.

Go ahead, take your bad attitude and change it.

BTW learn how to use filters in your email program.