[arch-general] Lennart Poettering on udev-systemd

Fons Adriaensen fons at linuxaudio.org
Tue Aug 14 11:07:05 EDT 2012

On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 10:55:02AM -0400, Baho Utot wrote:

> >after switching to it I prefer it because I just find it a lot easier to
> >deal with than sysvinit IMO. For example I find systemd's .service files so
> >much cleaner and easier to understand than initscripts, they are also
> >portable and can be included in upstream packages.
> >
> >This "Oh my god systemd is hard and I'm being forced to use it!" FUD I keep
> >seeing is getting pretty ridiculous... Even if arch does someday switch to
> >systemd, I'm sure initscripts will be supported for quite some time, giving
> >plenty of time to learn/transition (again really not that hard) in the
> >event that that ever happened.
> >
> >Arch has always been a bleeding edge constantly changing distro, if you
> >want everything to stay the same forever, use debian. No matter what
> >happens with this whole sysvinit vs systemd kerfuffle, you will never be
> >"forced" to use systemd in arch, just like you've never been forced to use
> >sysvinit...
>
> I don't think you fully understand the issue.
>
> If udev was still a "stand alone package" and not part of systemd as
> it is now....
> Then systemd would be an alternative init system and all the other
> init systems would not be impacted and one could use any of the
> system init methods he chooses.  If you would want systemd becames
> it works for you great...knock yourself out...but on the other hand
> when this thing becomes fully matured then systemd will be the only
> one that works well with udev and everyone else be damned.
>
> Lennart Poettering by his own submission stated that he wanted udev
> as part of systemd and that he doesn't care about any other init
> system that would use udev.  As with Lennart it seems as it's my way
> or the highway...which indeed is the problem.

I agree. It's not systemd being 'hard' that scares most people
who object to it - that is a misrepresantatio. In fact I'm pretty
sure systemd is easier to use and configure than initscripts.

BTW has anyone looked at upstart ? The current AUR package is
out of date (and I'm looking at some deadlines so this is not
the time for experiments), but it has excellent documentation
<http://upstart.ubuntu.com/cookbook/>, much better than anything
I've seem for systemd so far, and after spending some time
reading the above reference I must say I like it. At least
it doesn't have that ugly and infantile syntax and it looks
like was designed by programmers instead of by a kid.

Ciao,

--
FA