[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] Migration to systemd

Leonid Isaev lisaev at umail.iu.edu
Tue Aug 14 12:18:57 EDT 2012

On Tue, 14 Aug 2012 11:55:28 -0400
Calvin Morrison <mutantturkey at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 14 August 2012 10:57, Stéphane Gaudreault <stephane at archlinux.org> wrote:
> > Systemd has a overall better design than SysV, lots of useful
> > administrative features and provide quicker boot up. Considering that it
> > has been around in our repositories for some time and that it could be
> > considered stable enough for production use, I would suggest to replace
> > iniscript by systemd once the 'Missing systemd units' is over. Thus we
> > will avoid duplicating our efforts on two init systems.
> >
> > Any objections to start the migration process ?
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Stéphane
> >

> I'd love to see the overall advantages and disadvantages of each of
> those fleshed out on a page where I can read them - I know I can't
> order anyone to do it, and my comment doesn't effect the outcome, but
> I would really like to see a good explanation of the advantages in an
> unbiased (aka not by LP) explanation  of why it is better for arch. Is
> systemd suckless? is it easy to maintain? is it going to around for
> several years? have we considered Upstart? what about OpenRC?

One advantage of systemd which people seem to overlook is its suspend support,
bypassing pm-utils. The latter is broken, has a looooong list of open bugs and
looks unmaintained. So +1 from me.

> before Arch jump ship, I would love to see some good details. I have
> been trying to keep up Tom's posts on the general, so maybe I should
> revisit them.

Well, arch-general is a treasure troff... if you can search through 1000+
posts on the subject.

--
Leonid Isaev
GnuPG key: 0x164B5A6D