[arch-general] [System update] dhcpcd: /usr/lib/systemd/system/dhcpcd at .service exists in filesystem

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Tue Aug 14 17:24:55 EDT 2012

On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 11:19 PM, Martin Cigorraga <msx at archlinux.us> wrote:
> ~# pacman -Syu
> (6/6) checking package integrity
>  [---------------------------------------] 100%
> (6/6) checking for file conflicts
> [---------------------------------------] 100%
> error: failed to commit transaction (conflicting files)
> dhcpcd: /usr/lib/systemd/system/dhcpcd at .service exists in filesystem
> Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.
> ~ #
>
> I presume in this case is safe to -f, I can rename the conflicting package
> too, but I would like to know how's the right way to proceed here.

Either you are using [testing] without [community-testing], or this is
a packaging bug. Either way, don't use --force.

If you DO use force, what will happen is that the the conflicting file
will be owned by both packages, and when systemd-arch-units gets
updated in the future to remove the file, the files will be deleted
from your system.

-t