[arch-general] Lennart Poettering on udev-systemd

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Tue Aug 14 18:57:18 EDT 2012

On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 12:35 AM, David Benfell
<benfell at parts-unknown.org> wrote:
> This part is true, and the fact that the system comes up *lightning
> fast* is a bonus. I'm not satisfied with the documentation, however,
> as it seems to be scattered across several man pages, the Arch wiki
> only covers some of it, and as to upstream documentation, if there is
> any, I couldn't find it.

The upstream documentation is just the manpages:
http://0pointer.de/public/systemd-man/

I'd suggest starting with section 7: bootup(7), daemon(7),
kernel-command-line(7); and then possibly systemd(1), systemctl(1) and
possibly systemd.special, systemd.service and systemd.exec. That
should make you an expert.

> The only other nitpick I have is that some packages refuse to log to
> stdout/stderr, which means that old syslog-ng (it isn't new anymore)
> continues to be necessary.

The journal should pick up anything logged with syslog(), so syslog-ng
should only be needed in case you want the text files in /var/log or
if you want to use the network protocol.

-t