[arch-general] Polkit and systemd

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Tue Aug 14 19:21:47 EDT 2012

On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 1:13 AM, Manolo Martínez
<manolo at austrohungaro.com> wrote:
> But that's not it. Although polkit seems to work in console, it does not
> work in X. This is not terribly surprising, because I haven't done
> anything equivalent to launching my WM under "ck-launch-session", as I
> used to do with consolekit. Is there an equivalent way of launching the
> window manager under systemd-acting-as-consolekit?
>
> I should explain that I'm using no display manager, and I'd like to keep
> it this way, if at all possible.

If you don't use a display manager, it means you won't have a
registered pam session for your graphical login, which means logind
won't give the correct info to polkit (it will think that there is no
active session).

A workaround for this is to start your WM on the same VT as your
consolelogin, and hence "steal" that pam session. I believe the magic
incantation is:

# startx -- vt0

Cheers,

Tom