[arch-general] OT: "Major distributions"

Timothy Rice t.rice at ms.unimelb.edu.au
Tue Aug 14 20:21:31 EDT 2012

> As a rolling release, Arch is usually the leader of adopt new technology.
> But now, Arch is falling behind Debian now. So sad.

Arch Linux is also about simplicity. For me, this is more important
than the rolling-releaseness and bleeding-edgeness. If Arch lags behind
Debian, that is fine by me; some things that Debian does by default I
don't like because of their complexity. Also keep in mind, once upon a
time, Debian was the bleeding edge distro; if Debian wants to reclaim
that title then more power to Debian.

I like both Debian and Arch, and I say, let's not get too stressed if Debian
is occasionally more cutting edge. It's all still Linux, and Arch can only
thrive on a little competition of this nature.