[arch-general] Partition mounting in systemd [WAS: Lennart Poettering on udev-systemd]

Oon-Ee Ng ngoonee.talk at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 20:53:37 EDT 2012

On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 8:13 AM, Tom Gundersen <teg at jklm.no> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 1:55 AM, David Benfell
> <benfell at parts-unknown.org> wrote:
>> Does systemd not use the standard
>> mount program and follow /etc/fstab?
>
> It does. Though it does not use "mount -a", but rather mounts each fs
> separately.

Ah, that ties in nicely with the weird symptoms I'm seeing right now.
For background, you can read my recent forum post here -
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1146498#p1146498 but its
not necessary to this question

Basically as part of troubleshooting the above problem, I attempted to
reformat my /home partition (/dev/sda3) on my desktop to btrfs after
quitting X and stopping the related stuff. I also tried this from a
new boot without ever touching X.

umount /dev/sda3 worked, but mkfs.btrfs didn't, giving me 'still
mounted' errors. When I boot without systemd (initscripts only) then
umounting and mkfs.btrfs works fine.

Related - when I run systemctl -a | grep sda I get (on my systemd
laptop, but got the same on my desktop), trimmed for readability
dev-sda.device            loaded active   plugged       ST9250827AS
dev-sda1.device           loaded active   plugged       ST9250827AS
sys-devi...da-sda1.device loaded active   plugged       ST9250827AS
sys-devi...da-sda2.device loaded active   plugged       ST9250827AS

Do I need to do something additional to get systemd to 'give up'
partitions totally?