[arch-general] Think twice before moving to systemd

Jason Ryan jasonwryan at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 22:40:41 EDT 2012

On 15/08/12 at 04:01am, Felipe Contreras wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 3:51 AM, Jason Ryan <jasonwryan at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 15/08/12 at 03:35am, Felipe Contreras wrote:
>
> >> I just became aware that Arch Linux plans to switch to systemd, and
> >> this worries me for several reasons.
> >>
> >> snip
> >
> > I am running it on both my home machines and my work laptop. I have full
> > encryption on all three devices and LVM and Raid1 on two of them. Boot time is
> > not considerably faster, but shutdown is.
> >
> > I have not had any problems migrating or running the three machines in the
> > intervening fortnight.
>
> So you have 3 data-points. There's plenty of different machines and
> configurations out there, and the way you present your arguments seems
> to suggest that because you didn't have any problems, that proves that
> nobody out there can *possibly* have issues with systemd.

No - I made no such overarching claims; I just countered your experience with my
own.

> I believe the opposite; even if you have tested in one thousand
> machines, the *possibility* still remains.

Yes, the possibility exists; that is hardly a reason to spread FUD on the list
though, is it?

> > I think your concerns are largely unfounded and your alarmist tone does no
> > credit to the Arch developers who have given this some consideration and have
> > implemented it in a typically thorough and professional manner.
>
> I tend to not believe things without evidence, and not believe because
> of some "authority" says it's true. I will believe there was some
> careful analysis, when I see the result of the analysis in a
> summarized form as the Google DVCS analysis. If the benefits are well
> known, and the disadvantages minded, it shouldn't be difficult to
> write such a summary. Would it?

I look forward to your analysis (which by your own criteria will need to include
 > 1000 machines, presumably); or are you expecting someone else will do this
to satisfy your demands for scientific rigour?

/J

--

http://jasonwryan.com/  [GnuPG Key: B1BD4E40]