[arch-general] Think twice before moving to systemd

Felipe Contreras felipe.contreras at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 02:42:03 EDT 2012

On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 6:33 AM, Leon Feng <rainofchaos at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2012/8/15 Felipe Contreras <felipe.contreras at gmail.com>:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Finally, it's much harder to debug. If you have a problem you will not
>> be able to open a script and figure out what is happening, and perhaps
>> modify it, and debug it. You would be greeted with an unmodified
>> binary, and the source code would be along these lines:
>>
>> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/systemd/systemd/tree/src/remount-fs/remount-fs.c
>>

> The fact is you do not need to debug these scripts anymore. One
> foo.service is tested ok in one distro, it will be push into upstream
> and all other distro can just use it.

Yes, you need to debug them, because they are not self-contained, the
interact with the rest of the system. So what the C file does in your
system is not what it does on my system; it depends on countless other
things, such as configuration.

> When blame the C file here, do not forget most of the program you use
> is using C. The problem with bash script is they can not be
> used/shared between different distro. So every distro has to maintain
> their own script. It is a waste of time and resources.

Yes they can. Code is code, language doesn't make a piece of code more
share-able between distros than others.

Cheers.

--
Felipe Contreras