[arch-general] Think twice before moving to systemd

Felipe Contreras felipe.contreras at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 03:24:44 EDT 2012

On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 9:01 AM, Tom Gundersen <teg at jklm.no> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 8:50 AM, Felipe Contreras
> <felipe.contreras at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I don't have that machine available at the moment, but I don't see how
>> such an issue could have been fixed given the lack of interest from
>> Lennart in that G+ post.
>
> Without the insults, this would have been picked up on and sorted out
> a long time ago. At least based on my experience.

That's a loss for systemd, not for me. And I didn't insult anybody,
Lennart did, so it's not my fault.

>> I do read and write
>> C everyday for probably for more than 10 years now, yet I do have
>> trouble reading systemd's code, but that's not important, what is
>> important is that in order to test my modifications (to add debugging
>> for example), I would need to *recompile*.
>
> I'm aware that you are a professional, that's why I find your claims
> about the difficulty of understanding/recompiling... odd. By contrast,
> my C skills/experience are virtually nonexistent, and yet I have had
> no problems understanding/debugging/recompiling/patching the systemd
> code.

It's not my claims, it's a fact; compiling is more complicated than
not-compiling (one step less), and you need a compiler, and linker
(and in some systems development packages), and sometimes deploying
the binaries. With scripting you don't need any of that; after you are
done editing the text (which you have to do regardless), you are done.

>> Well, I see absolutely no evidence of such an analysis, so consider me
>> a skeptic.
>
> That's ok. We are not in the PR business, we are not selling anything.

You are selling a distribution. When Arch Linux stops giving the users
what they want, the users will go for a different distribution. That's
how distributions die; when something better is on the market for most
of their users.

Cheers.

--
Felipe Contreras