[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] Migration to systemd

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Wed Aug 15 07:55:33 EDT 2012

Am 15.08.2012 13:34, schrieb Felipe Contreras:
>>> 1./ Be a small simple binary
>>
>> The systemd main binary is not very large (larger than sysvinit's
>> /sbin/init, but not by much).
>
> But that binary alone is useless, and certainly not *simple*.

/sbin/init from sysvinit alone is useless. What is your point?

>>> 2./ Have no dependencies
>>
>> That is pure BS. If something has no dependencies, it has to do
>> everything in the binary itself. You either end up with no features, or
>> potential for tons of bugs.
>>
>> Having NO dependencies also means you have to bypass the C library and
>> implement everything from scratch - that is the worst idea ever.
>
> No need to overreact, the meaning is clear:
>
> 2. Have as few dependencies as possible, preferably dependencies that
> are used widely in most systems and that have few dependencies
> themselves, and are simple themselves

Okay, where exactly does systemd violate that?

>>> 3./ Be easy to follow, fix and lockdown, best fit being interpreted
>>> languages.
>>
>> So, init should be a small binary in an interpreted language? Am I the
>> only one who notices you are contradicting yourself.
>
> No. The "services" (in systemd lingo) should be in an interpreted
> language: e.g. shell.

Why should they be? As far as I understand, they're human-readable text
files. One might say this is an "interpreted language".