[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] Migration to systemd

John K Pate j.k.pate at sms.ed.ac.uk
Wed Aug 15 08:17:22 EDT 2012

> > /sbin/init from sysvinit alone is useless. What is your point?
>
> The rest are rather simple scripts (in the case of Arch Linux).
>
> And you are still ignoring the fact that systemd is anything but
> *simple*. How convenient to ignore that argument.

Those "simple scripts" are written in a Turing complete language for
doing whatever, while unit files are much more constrained in what they
can do and have been engineered to specify boot and daemon
dependencies. It's surprising to see people calling shell scripts
"simple." They are common, not simple. The basic idea behind
systemd, as I understand it, *is* simple: specify only what needs to be
specified about the boot process and daemon start-up and management.

--
John K Pate http://jkpate.net/

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.