[arch-general] Systemd screen brightness

Aurko Roy roy.aurko at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 11:10:28 EDT 2012

On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 4:45 PM, Norbert Zeh <nzeh at cs.dal.ca> wrote:

> You can achieve the same by adding the instructions to write to
> /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/brightness to an appropriate file in
> tmpfiles.d.
> Read the section on temporary files in the systemd page on the archwiki.
>
> Cheers,
> Norbert

Thanks for the reference. So something like

'w /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/brightness - - - - 0'

should do the job, except that /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0 does not
exist since acpi does not seem to be running (I recall reading somewhere
that systemd handles most acpi functionality, is that correct?).

On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 2:32 PM, Thomas Bächler <thomas at archlinux.org>
 wrote:

> Am 15.08.2012 03:30, schrieb Michael Nawrocki:
> > I'm trying to get my laptop backlight keys (fn+f6/f7) to adjust the
> > brightness of my toshiba laptop backlight.
>
> I am curious. With 3.3 and earlier, my keys used to adjust brightness on
> their own. Since 3.4, they don't, and only work in KDE, but not on the
> console.
>
> Was it a deliberate kernel change that the brightness keys have no effect?

Brightness keys seem to be working fine on 3.5.1.1 (testing). Perhaps it is
a problem specific to your setup?

--
Aurko Roy
GPG key: 0x20C5BC31