[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] Migration to systemd

Rashif Ray Rahman schiv at archlinux.org
Wed Aug 15 12:25:05 EDT 2012

On 15 August 2012 21:31, Felipe Contreras <felipe.contreras at gmail.com> wrote:
> I just subscribed to this list, and 80% of the traffic I'm seeing is
> problems with systemd. That should tell you something; systemd has
> problems.

Felipe, I understand where you're coming from, and I can feel you.
But, the fact remains that your conclusion is merely the result of
these so-called problems with systemd that you yourself haven't
experienced (assumption). I am not a systemd user myself, but I like
what it wants to achieve, and I _will_ make the move sooner or later.

You must also understand that there are bugs at
http://bugs.archlinux.org/ as well, including bugs and feature
requests related to initscripts. Systemd having its own problems -
like all other software - is nothing out of the ordinary. Only when
most of the fundemental issues are attended to can a move be realised.
And that's exactly what we're doing with systemd. Nobody's giving you
a half-assed init.

Please think of systemd as the freedesktop.org specs for desktop files
or graphical interoperability between distributions (X11, d-bus). It
is a new 'upstream' that we can rely on for running our GNU/Linux
systems. It so happens that this time it's a core part of the system
that's being 'standardised'. If you're not a fan of freedesktop.org,
then I'm afraid that's a religious position you choose to take.

We would've kept both if it were possible. It is obvious that we have
to trade out old stuff to usher in the new. We just want to get rid of
maintenance burden, and new stuff allow for that to happen. I'm sure
there will be a separate project for those who religiously prefer to
stick to the old ways.

--
GPG/PGP ID: C0711BF1