[arch-general] Partition mounting in systemd [WAS: Lennart Poettering on udev-systemd]

C Anthony Risinger anthony at xtfx.me
Wed Aug 15 12:26:43 EDT 2012

On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 10:29 AM, Kevin Chadwick <ma1l1ists at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>>  though they may very well just keep chugging on,
>> pretending all is well.
>
> Very last post on systemd as you've said this before and I chose not to
> respond.
>
> No, they will throw a decriptive or general error and do what the script
> author intended which could be sub routines, traps which could be ask
> the user anything and ^C may work too. You see this as a good thing? Was
> systemd intended to just stop without a prompt?

i don't at all understand what you're trying to say/insinuate here?

systemd will indeed drop to a prompt if the problem is critical
(though i'm admittedly not 100% sure where that boundary lies, i think
if `basic.target` isn't reached or something ...), but it has an
rather long timeout that could easy lead a user into thinking it's
"stuck" (something obnoxious like 5 minutes IIRC).

at any rate, i'm pretty sure a failing mount only blocks boot if it's
a system/api mountpoint ... i had a bad fstab at one point and i don't
recall any serious issue, which is why the OP needs to provide more
information.

initscripts != sysvinit.  there are no sufficiently unique
requirements across distributions to warrant each one writing near
100% custom boot routines -- we all boot pretty much the same way.

--

C Anthony