[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] Migration to systemd

Felipe Contreras felipe.contreras at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 13:33:29 EDT 2012

On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 6:11 PM, Leonid Isaev <lisaev at umail.iu.edu> wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Aug 2012 12:27:33 +0200
> Felipe Contreras <felipe.contreras at gmail.com> wrote:

>> > Here's one part
>> >
>> > A good design would make the init process which is always running and
>> > everyone must run.
>> >
>> > 1./ Be a small simple binary
>> >
>> > 2./ Have no dependencies
>> >
>> > 3./ Be easy to follow, fix and lockdown, best fit being interpreted
>> > languages.
>> >
>> > 4./ be as fast as possible
>> >
>> > systemd meets 4. Sysvinit meets 1-3 well but OpenBSDs init meets 1-3
>> > better
>>
>> I agree in general, but systemd doesn't meet #4; we are supposed to
>> believe that's the case, but does it really?
>>

> So... on my c2d (1.8ghz) machine a reboot with initscripts takes about 40s.
> With systemd it will either take (1) < 40s (2) > 40s. But probably the
> deviation will not exceed ~5s.
>
> Given that... why should I care about speed at all? Again your problem with
> 300 MHz kernel timer may be real, but is it relevant when talking about an
> init system? Does it overweigh such pros as deprecation of ck and pm-utils, or
> ability to lock a user in a cgroup?

I am merely replying to what Kevin said. Using Kevin's list systemd
has in reality no advantage.

Of course you can add items to that list, such as the ones you
mentioned. I care nothing about those items you mentioned, while I
care about speed. Different people have different opinions, but having
an *official* list of advantages/disadvantages can only help.
specially if/when shit hits the fan, and tons of users experience
fundamental problems with systemd (which is a real possibility); they
will this is an imposition without a good reason.

--
Felipe Contreras