[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] Migration to systemd

Marti Raudsepp marti at juffo.org
Wed Aug 15 16:19:52 EDT 2012

On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 10:46 PM, Fons Adriaensen <fons at linuxaudio.org> wrote:
>> It is a new 'upstream' that we can rely on for running our GNU/Linux
>> systems. It so happens that this time it's a core part of the system
>> that's being 'standardised'. If you're not a fan of freedesktop.org,
>> then I'm afraid that's a religious position you choose to take.
>
> That is completely upside down. Blindly accepting truth 'fom above'.
> in this case freedesktop.org, is a religious attitude. Refusing
> to do that certainly is not.

You might think you're being sarcastic. But no, you are correct. Arch
Linux is religious to upstreams. Arch tries to patch software as
little as possible. When necessary, patches are applied only
temporarily and sent to upstreams to make sure the software works on
Arch.

systemd is one step closer in that direction: vanilla systemd already
does most of the Arch-specific init logic which is currently shipped
in the "initscripts" package, and probably does it better. Upstream
packages like postfix, udisks, smartmontools etc. already include
systemd service files, so Arch developers don't need to maintain their
own scripts. This means less fragmentation between Linux distribution
and less maintenance burden on Arch developers.

If you're looking for a distribution that's hell-bent on doing their
own stuff to the detriment of upstreams, please try Ubuntu.

Regards,
Marti