[arch-general] Arch-general is becoming a mess !

C Anthony Risinger anthony at xtfx.me
Thu Aug 16 11:15:33 EDT 2012

On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 8:08 AM, Felipe Contreras
<felipe.contreras at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 2:19 PM, Thomas Bächler <thomas at archlinux.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Do what the Linux kernel does: ignore the mails. Most mail clients
>>> have an option to mute a thread.
>>
>> I prefer the more pragmatic approach: Simply ban some people from the
>> list to make it quiet again.
>
> That's not more pragmatic, that's more authoritarian, but whatever
> floats your boat; if you want to squash dissidence, that's certainly
> the way.

dude, if i wielded the mighty banhammer, you'd have already been axed
days ago! along with you're hoodlum friends! ;-)

i don't think we are really talking about "we don't like yer type
round here" perm bans ... more like "friendly neighborhood" temp ban
(because we care!) to improve the responsibility, and above all,
accountability, of incoming messages.  if not a temp ban, the
heuristics to rate-limit people or something ...

i wish mailing lists had a sort of "mob auth" where you could "motion"
for some action ... i mean, yeah, i could kill-file-or-what-have-you
... but like any other problem, they are better solved at the source.

--

C Anthony