[arch-general] SystemD poll

mike cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 15:23:56 EDT 2012

On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 6:59 PM, phani <listmail at phanisvara.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Aug 2012 23:10:38 +0530, Denis A. Altoé Falqueto
> <denisfalqueto at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Replace "gold" with "willing and skills to help", and you're right.
>
> what strikes me is that pretty much all who have the skills, do the work,
> and make the decisions in (almost) all the major distros came to the
> conclusion that systemd is the way to go: fedora, openSUSE, arch, (and
> debian, but they are stuck with supporting non-linux systems. (and if ubuntu
> is still 'linux' is another question.)
>
> since i don't have those skills and have to depend on those who have,

For all the long winded opinions that have been expressed on this list
I can say that from "direct experience" of running Fedora 16 with
systemd from its release date, I have had around 9 months of solid
problem-free running with several systems running that operating
system - and never once had an issue with systemd of any kind - some
are plain user machines and others are servers.  OK so I only had 6
machines running it - three desktops and three laptops - so it is not
statistically significant - but nevertheless the people who say there
are major problems with systemd are actually talking without the basis
of experience of many people who have been using it for real in
earnest for quite some time already.

I have no doubt whatsoever that the arch developer team will prepare
the packages and configs to make the transition as seemless and
painless as possible for the vast majority of arch users - of course
there may be a few corner cases where an issue arises and then the
problems will be investigated, diagnosed and fixed (usually via bug
reports but sometimes via discussion on this list or the forums) -
with notes added to lists and wikis so that anyone else hitting the
same issue for a particular setup will have information available to
reach a fix without too much heartache.

We live in a dynamic and cutting edge world with the latest linux
software - and as far as I remember it was already stated that
initscripts would be kept parallel with systemd for anyone that wanted
to retain their original system at least for a sensible transition
period until the transition was complete and most systems were
successfully converted onto systemd.

To me that does not sound in the least unreasonable -

--
mike c