[arch-general] OT: "Major distributions" (WAS: Re: [arch-dev-public] Migration to systemd)

Rodrigo Rivas rodrigorivascosta at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 19:02:45 EDT 2012

On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 5:52 PM, Anthony ''Ishpeck'' Tedjamulia <
archlinux at ishpeck.net> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 11:08:50AM +0200, Rodrigo Rivas wrote:
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appeal_to_tradition
>
> I do not argue that software is good because it is old.  I argue that
> software which is correct does not need to be changed.

But you linked to the "Appeal to novelty" fallacy, suggesting that other
people argue that systemd is better just because it is new. Fallacies
usually come in pairs, thus my link: changing for change's sake makes no
sense; nor does not changing for tradition's sake.

Anyway, the fact that SysV is good enough doesn't mean that it cannot -or
should not- be changed. Whether systemd is the right answer is yet to be
seen, though.

The world changes, and the opposite of evolution is stagnation. And I, for
one, moved to Arch to see the change happen!

Regards
--
Rodrigo