[arch-general] Arch Linux and systemd

Stephen E. Baker baker.stephen.e at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 08:34:44 EDT 2012

On 17/08/2012 5:47 AM, Thomas Rand wrote:

> Thank you for starting a thread that (crosses fingers) will stay rant
> free & intelligent.
>
> After reading all the who-har in the other's I decided to install
> systemd on my lappy & TBH was very pleased with the result. That being
> that the install itself was hassle free & the configuration was
> bizarrely intuitive & easy, I had a small issue that
> lightdm-unity-greeter was not starting, so I made a note of the error
> given & checked the .service, .device, .target files & was astounded
> to see seriously plain text to the point where I followed through the
> process systemd took & worked out the problem reboot & bingo I fixed
> it without even looking on the web!
I also decided I should install systemd on my laptop last night. (At a
time when
I didn't actually have much time to work on it, because that's the kind of
guy I am ;) ).  I agree that the install itself was very easy, and with
the recent
rc.conf changes there was very little else to configure except to setup the
starting services.

I did hit a couple issues: Arch doesn't ship with units for all the daemons
I use.  I was able to copy the mysqld instructions out of the wiki, but
my attempt at getting timidity working on my own failed.  (Again,
I suspect I will be able to get it working, but I was doing things quickly.)

The other issue I hit was that it didn't like one of my fstab entries,
for a loop back file system in my home partition that I use to fake
a small drive for one of my old wine games.  This error caused it to
boot to a
root console where I could see the file system in error.  I haven't yet
tried to
debug the line, but once I commented it out I was able to boot my system.

Stephen E. Baker

[snip]

> Again thanks for a sane thread :)

+1