[arch-general] Arch Linux and systemd

Geoff capsthorne at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Aug 17 08:59:30 EDT 2012

On Fri, 17 Aug 2012 14:03:17 +0200
Rodrigo Rivas <rodrigorivascosta at gmail.com> wrote:

<snip>

> Some people fear that if you use it you will be giving something to that
> unknown project behind systemd.
> But if it takes you where you don't want to go, it can be forked. It has
> happened before with bigger projects.

<snip>

Yes, but I have the feeling (just my feeling, I can be wrong), that the
epoch when the best and brightest people did fork projects of this kind may be
past, or at least passing.  I am not blaming anyone, - the constraints of time /
career are perhaps more difficult to contend with than they were 20 years
ago.  Further, the success of linux in fields far removed from my
irrelevant little desktop brings opportunities and problems which may interest
those people more.  Times change, but one is allowed to regret some of the
consequences.

Geoff