[arch-general] systemd

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Fri Aug 17 11:44:58 EDT 2012

Am 17.08.2012 17:28, schrieb Fred Verschueren:
>> I downgraded to systemd-187-4 but have still the same problem.
>>
>> Any hints where to start searching?
>> Fred
>>
> I found a work around:
>
> if I replace in fstab
> /dev/mapper/nvidia_cjjcaiiep1          /home ext3
> defaults,acl            0       1
> by
> /dev/dm-7 /home                   ext3    defaults,acl            0       1
>
> the system is booting without problem.

This is extremely dangerous! The name "dm-7" is not persistent at all,
it may change at will. What you describe here suggests a problem with
the device-mapper and its udev interaction.

Udev is supposed to create the symlink /dev/mapper/nvidia_cjjcaiiep1 ->
../dm-7, but it doesn't do so, or doesn't do so in time. This problem
lies somewhere in the device mapper library, or in the way the dmraid
tool uses it. To be more precise: When activating dmraid, the tool is
supposed to wait until udev successfully created the missing symlink. So
either dmraid is not configured to do that, or systemd doesn't wait
until dmraid finishes, or systemd doesn't know to call dmraid at all.

I don't understand enough about systemd to fix this right now, sorry.

I am forwarding this to Tom and Dave, who probably don't follow
arch-general anymore, but can surely shed some light on the situation.