[arch-general] /etc/modules-load.d | /etc/modprobe.d -- options determinative?

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Fri Aug 17 12:10:28 EDT 2012

On 08/17/2012 10:49 AM, David C. Rankin wrote:
> Guys,
>
>    Reading the wiki pages regarding /etc/modules-load.d and /etc/modprobe.d,
> is the only difference that makes /etc/modules-load.d to correct place for the
> <moduleconfname>.conf file a lack of options required on module load?
>
>    Or put another way, if options need to be provided along with the module
> name on load, then use
>
>    /etc/modprobe.d/<moduleconfname>.conf
>
> otherwise if just the module name is required, use:
>
>    /etc/modules-load.d/<moduleconfname>.conf?
>
>    That was the only difference I saw in their use in the wiki. Anything else?

Also,

   for dmraid, the old MODULES=(dm_mod dm_mirror) would be replace by say
'/etc/modules-load.d/dmraid.conf' with the contents:

# load dm_mod dm_mirror for dmraid
dm_mod
dm_mirror

   But what of the 'USEDMRAID="yes"' directive presently in the HARDWARE
section of rc.conf? Is the call to 'dmraid -i -ay' automatically done if
dmraid is specified by HOOKS= in mkinitcpio.conf?

   Lastly, will the new '/etc/modules-load.d/dmraid.conf' work with the
current init before the switch to systemd?

   Thanks.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.