[arch-general] Arch Linux and systemd

Kyle kyle at gmx.ca
Fri Aug 17 17:13:20 EDT 2012

I made the move to systemd on my flash drive install 2 days ago, and I
have to say I am impressed. The only extra thing I needed to do was to
write a unit file for espeakup, since there isn't yet a unit in the
package or in systemd-arch-units. Writing the new .service file was
extremely quick and painless, and worked the very first time I rebooted
after enabling it. I didn't think it would be possible to make a very
old computer with USB 1.1 boot or shutdown any faster, but systemd
certainly made it happen with a minimum amount of effort, and everything
works as well or better than it did before the migration. I also like
the ease of use and configuration of systemd units and the intuitive
layout of the files and directories. I also found the systemctl and
journalctl commands to be very intuitive and easy to use. I only have to
remember to include the .service suffix when enabling or disabling a
service, as this process requires the complete unit name rather than
just the name of the service, unlike starting, stopping, etc. Although
there is always room for improvement in any software, systemd has come
quite a long way in a relatively short amount of time, and continues to
improve quickly. I would like to thank the systemd developers for their
hard work, and the Arch developers for seeing systemd as a viable
alternative to sysvinit and other aging and/or fragmented parts of a
Linux system. Add me to the list of happy systemd users.
~Kyle