[arch-general] SystemD poll

Jayesh Badwaik jayesh.badwaik90 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 19 10:07:52 EDT 2012

On Sunday 19 Aug 2012 13:23:12 Roel Deckers wrote:
> I think a poll is a good idea.
> Remember it's not about whether or not you're allowed to use
> initscripts/systemd, it's about what will become the default.
> Sure, in the end it's the devs who get the final call, they're putting
> in the work after all, but a poll can show whether the community
> agrees with the devs decision.
> Looking at the poll (and discussions) now, it seems that people are
> generally in agreement with the developers and so I say we go ahead
> with it.
> Yes, there are also technical reasons/strong arguments for systemd,
> but that's beside the point.
> As Denis said: "the man with the will and skills to help makes the
> rules", whether it's a good or a bad decision it's up to them.
> You're not entitled to anything but an opinion.
>
> And I'd like to remind those that feel strongly against systemd that
> you can still run initscripts and make a package for it, submit
> patches etc.
> You just have to be careful on a clean install that you tick-off
> systemd and tick-on initscripts.
>
> R. Deckers

I think it is important that even if there is a poll, it should be
treated as a poll, not a vote. And I completely agree with you.

The fact that Ionut has already stated his intention to go along with
systemd makes the poll redundant though, unless the developers do an
about turn on systemd issue.

So, while the poll would have been a good idea in some other
circumstances. In this, I am not so sure.

--
Cheers and Regards
Jayesh Badwaik