[arch-general] Fine-tuning font settings (GTK?)

Robbie Smith zoqaeski at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 10:10:47 EDT 2012

Although it's improved a lot, I still get the occasional colour fringes
around some glyphs, and I find that really distracting. Yet for some
reason the subpixel rendering seems set as default, and no setting I
change switches back to the greyscale rendering that looks far better to
me. This only affects GTK+ applications, and I only get the fringes
around a handful of characters on black-on-white, but it's enough to be
noticeable when I'm tired or I have the screen brightness turned up.

I've tried changing settings locally in ~/.config/gtk3/settings.ini,
I've tinkered with the settings in /etc/fonts (including creating a
custom style with Infinality), and yet it still persists. Does anyone
know how to fix it?

I have these settings in fontconfig's conf:

<match target="font">
   <edit name="rgba" mode="assign">
     <const>none</const>
   </edit>