[arch-general] Arch Linux and systemd

Felipe Contreras felipe.contreras at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 19:52:01 EDT 2012

On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 11:08 AM, C Anthony Risinger <anthony at xtfx.me> wrote:

> no flexibility is lost by moving to systemd, and really, much more
> gained: wider userbase, wider testbase, simple units to write, simple
> units to read, loosely coupled ordering, implicit dependencies, Grand
> Unified logging capabilities, and of course, much better
> speed/reliability/robustness.

These are all unwarranted assumptions. I would like to see the
evidence for each one of these claims, and if you don't have hard
evidence at best these are *opinions*. I do have contrary evidence for
some of these, but I'm not claiming anything, you are, so you have the
burden of proof.

> take the (unanimous?) sentiments exhibiting by our developers -- and
> *many* developers elsewhere, in a great variety of capacities/niches
> -- as a sign of the good things to come. i fully expect 99%+ will have
> little trouble adjusting, and 98% will at that time agree it was
> clearly the right choice.

Maybe, maybe not, but is it the right choice *now*? That's the question.

> initiatives like this are not removing choice

Yes they are. I don't want to use systemd, what will be my choice?

--
Felipe Contreras