[arch-general] Arch Linux and systemd

Guus Snijders gsnijders at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 06:16:07 EDT 2012

Op 22 aug. 2012 10:59 schreef "Kevin Chadwick" <ma1l1ists at yahoo.co.uk> het
volgende:

> > > "We", is me and the people that don't like the systemd+udev beast, and
> > > they are a lot.
> >
> > Huh?  I've never seen any complaints about udev before you.  Mind you,
> > udev is around since 2003.
>
> Actually it's completely different to back in 2003 because of huge
> amounts of complaints. Check lwn.net
>
> >  It was merged into systemd's source, but
> > it's not a problem to use it without running systemd.  Otherwise your
> > system won't run, don't you think?  Udev provides /dev after all...
> > Wikipedia says you can use something else, but libudev itself is in
> > use.
>
> Where's the link, does it mean for dynamic /dev otherwise that's
> completely wrong and libudev != udev/systemd.

Kevin, you seem to be fairly advanced user. How about creating a vm with
Arch and getting an alternative to udev running?
Should be an interesting experiment.
Same goes for (for example) openrc.

When it's working reliable for you, it should be easy enough to create some
packages.

In the case of init scripts, a very nice add-on would be to parse systemd's
ini files (either 'live' or once). That way it would be a very easy
transition for users already running systemd.

For the record: this is meant as an encouragement. I would be very
interested in things like this and be willing to help out.
Perhaps more people on this list feel the same way.

mvg, Guus